Parsons Brinckerhoff believes that achieving diversity is a business imperative. Our company represents the world we live in, and we value that diversity. We seek talented people from backgrounds and cultures as rich and varied as the work we do.
Our Diversity Oversight Committee, which is chaired by the Global Director of Human Resources, guides Parsons Brinckerhoff’s policy on diversity and inclusion.
Parsons Brinckerhoff also promotes diversity through a number of employee networks. For example, our Professional Growth Network, for employees with 10 or fewer years of experience, provides a forum to sharpen career skills. Our emerging professionals regularly receive recognition from professional organizations as well as trade publications such as Mass Transit which recognized Christopher Hemmer and Nathan Macek as among the “Top 40 Under 40” in 2013; and Lara Karamatsu, named Young Engineer of the Year for 2013 by the American Society of Civil Engineers’ Hawaii section.
Many of our employees are active with industry organizations that help advance women and minorities in the engineering industry. including WTS International, which recognized Margaret O’Meara as its Member of the Year for 2012. Several employees have been honored by their local chapters, including Toni Bates, recipient of the San Diego chapter’s Pursuit of Excellence in Transportation Award; and Stephanie Camay, the Greater New York Chapter’s Member of the Year. Beth DeAngelo, a Vice President of Parsons Brinckerhoff, leads the Greater New York Chapter. Rachel Skinner, Director, Marketing and Communications, Europe, is on the Board of WTS-London as Past President, following four years of service in that position.
Parsons Brinckerhoff is a strong supporter of the Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO). Several employees serve on COMTO committees or as officers of local chapters. Tracey Bessellieu, Director of Talent, received the Shirley A. DeLibero Women who Move the Nation Award from COMTO in 2014. Bessellieu serves as co-chair of the COMTO national scholars committee and is a member of its strategic planning committee. Adiele Nwankwo, Parsons Brinckerhoff’s Area Manager for Atlanta, is a member-at-large of the COMTO Board of Directors.
In Australia, Parsons Brinckerhoff is aligned with the Workplace Gender Equality Act. The Act builds on the “Women’s Empowerment Principles,” of which Parsons Brinckerhoff was the first signatory in its industry. The Act requires companies to report on salary disparity between male and female employees and to report on available flexible working arrangements. Our diversity program and staff have been highly recognized across a range of awards including:
- Winner of the Diversity Agenda award 2013 from Consult Australia
- Tessa Ogle, General Manager of Oil and Gas was a winner in two 2013 Telstra Business Women’s Awards – the New South Wales Private and Corporate Sector Award and Young Business Women’s Award
- Kathryn Higgs, Senior Ethics and Compliance Officer, was named Compliance Officer of the Year in the global Women in Compliance Awards 2014.
- Cassandra Corvi was awarded the first Parsons Brinckerhoff's AUS $5,000 Scholarship for Women in Engineering. Corvi is pursuing a career as an aeronautical engineer and is a student at the University of Queensland, Australia.
Employees recognized for their support of the advancement of women and minorities in the industry also include:
- Catherine Connor, Sr. Vice President, Federal Government Affairs, in our Washington, DC office received an Honorable Mention award in the Veteran Practitioner category at the Professional Women in Advocacy Conference Reception in 2013. She was recognized “for her demonstrating outstanding leadership and dedication to the advancement of women in the transportation industry.”
- John Trotta, Central Regional Business Manager based in the Chicago office, has been awarded the Hispanic American Construction Industry Association (HACIA) Mentor/Protégé Award.
- Marie-Elsie Dowell, National Lead, Traffic Engineering & ITS Technical Excellence Center (Miami), received the 2014 Outstanding Woman in Science and Technology Award at the 26th annual In the Company of Women award ceremony in Coral Gables, Florida.
Visit our “About Us” section for more on awards received by Parsons Brinckerhoff people and projects, including recognition for technical excellence and business leadership.
Parsons Brinckerhoff is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer; as such the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, and protected veteran or disability status. EOE minorities/females/protected veterans/disabled